FBTX ~ The Farmers Branch Police Department is asking residents to be aware that scams are on the increase, and are being perpetrated on social media, via email, and by telephone.
Scammers will prey on a person’s fear, desire to make easy money, compassion, or any combination of the three.
Some common scams include:
- Claiming to be from a hospital or law enforcement agency and saying that your grandchild, child, etc. is hurt or arrested and needs money immediately.
- Claiming that they are from the IRS or a law enforcement agency and that you will be arrested unless you pay an immediate fee or fine.
- Claiming that your power/water will be turned off unless you pay immediately.
- Emails sent to you that say you have won a large sum of money and you only have to pay a fee or taxes on it.
- Emails, texts, or calls that claim to be from a missionary, or someone similar, from another country who needs money to get back home.