FBTX ~ Following discussions with a diverse, 26-member body, representing a cross-section of the Farmers Branch community and Farmers Branch Police Chief David Hale, Mayor Robert Dye reported to the City Council on the goals and recommendations of the Future of Policing Task Force.
Enacted in response to national conversations on law enforcement, Mayor Dye said the goal of the Task Force was to look at the future of policing and law enforcement outreach to the community.
The Task Force affirmed actions already taken by Chief Hale, including:
- Formalizing duty to intervene
- Banning chokeholds
- Revising protocols on no knock warrants
- Formulation of a Chief’s Advisory Council
- Increased transparency initiatives
- Enhanced education programming
Among the items recommended for future consideration:
- A mental health division
- Concentration on mental wellness
- Even more robust transparency
- Customer relations liaison
- Enhanced equipment
Mayor Dye said the exercise was borne of the highest level of support for Chief Hale and the Police Department and any recommendations are intended to assist them in their mission of providing the best safety and security for the people of Farmers Branch.
The entire report can be viewed online at the City’s website. The video of the Mayor’s presentation to Council can be viewed online.