Click to Home
HomeWeatherFacebookTwitterInstagramYouTube
Email

Go To Search
Community Gardens - City in a ParkRec Center - Rec and AquaticsSenior Center - Keep ActiveHistorical Park - Our Preserved HistoryAthletics - Game Time
Dodson House
Dodson House The Dodson house was built in 1937 by Ross Faulkner for William and Maude Dodson. The original location of the house was approximately 200 feet to the southwest of the present day location. By 1942, the Dodsons realized the mistake of building so close to a flood prone creek and recruited the help of friends and neighbors to move their home to higher ground. The house and garage were moved, a new grill house was built, and a sunroom was added to the home.

In 1946, William Dodson and friends Oran and Truett Good, Thomas Reeder and Roy McKee, formulated a petition for the incorporation of Farmers Branch and obtained 38 signatures, 18 more than necessary! William Dodson was elected the first Mayor of Farmers Branch and served from 1946-1948. Many of the early planning meetings and three of the first Council meetings were held at the Dodson House.

In the early formative years, there were no city employees, so Councilmen had to take care of city business after working a full day at their regular job. The community helped by raising money for a Fire Station and City Hall. Before a City Hall was built in 1948, meetings were held at various locations in the city, including the Dodson House, the Depot, the Methodist Church, and the Masonic Lodge.
The City of Farmers Branch purchased the Dodson House in 1981 from Maude Dodson, but did not take possession until 1983. In 1989, the Dodson House underwent a major restoration. A new foundation was built. The interior and exterior of the structure were repaired and the bath and kitchen were modernized to accommodate wedding receptions and meetings.
 
In 1990, the garage and well-house received similar restoration. The garage is currently used as a Museum Store. The well-house was restored by Kirk Schmidt, from Boy Scout Troop 713, as his Eagle Scout service project.

In 2001, the exterior of the Dodson House was restored. Much of the original siding was replaced and repainted. The appearance of the Dodson House today is indistinguishable from early photographs of the home. 
 
Maude Dodson in the kitchen
Maude Dodson in the kitchen


Today the Dodson House serves a variety of functions. The offices of the Historical Park are upstairs while the downstairs is regularly used for meetings, receptions, and group tours. Farmers Branch has also changed, growing from a population of 752 in 1946 to over 27,000 today – a lasting legacy to William Dodson and his goal of creating one of the finest cities in North Texas.  

The Dodson Family
William Bill Dodson
William "Bill" Dodson